20 August, 2007

She Don't Use A Walker

The young, soft, fragile DJ on WERS just simultaneously confused me and made me feel very old.

After stumbling through an explanation about how you can get a lot of WERS's programs via podcast (which she knew virtually nothing about), she announced that her next song would be by the Flaming Lips. In fact, it would be the first Flaming Lips song that she had ever heard! Back when she was in high school, the cool kids would play this song while they were in the photo darkroom.

And I thought to myself, here it comes, the most overplayed Flaming Lips song ever, 1993's "She Don't Use Jelly." (And as a semi-frequent listener to WERS, I was beginning to wonder if the next song would be by Gordon Lightfoot or Kris Kristofferson.) That's when bitch lowered the boom. The song was, "Do You Realize," off of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots which came out in 2002. And while I love the song, I'm thinking of going and picking up a cane on my lunch break.

For the record, the next song was by Gordon Lightfoot.

4 comments:

blythe said...

i have no idea what this post is about. saw the flaming lips and must now must make a comment about them being from oklahoma. it's state law.

The Practical Slacker said...

The post is about snot-nosed little punk-ass fucking DJs and how they need to stop tormenting the elderly.

Guess what else came from Oklahoma? Yeah, the Flaming Lips are really about the only thing worth mentioning.

Duffless said...

I'm only a casual Flaming Lips fan, but I recently saw Fearless Freaks, a documentary about them. Kind of too long, but otherwise well done - I was not expecting that for their backstory. I always figured they were art school kids.

The Practical Slacker said...

Blythe,

Boy was I dead wrong.

To name just a few of the other famous people from OK: Woody Gutherie, Brad Pitt, Ron Howard, Tony Randall, Roy Clark, Roger Miller, Leon Russell, Bill Moyers, Walter Cronkite, Mickey Mantle, and Jim Thorpe.